The Vietnamesephin,orphin filter, is a coffee brewing tool that’s most commonly used in Vietnam. Thephinmakes getting your caffeine fix on busy mornings a breeze, due to its simplicity and ease of use. Where a traditional drip coffee setup requires refilling paper filters, and a classic French press requires precise timing, thephin filter allows you to brew, walk away, and come back to a perfect cup every time.
Additionally, thephin filter requires nothing other than ground coffee and hot water to brew — no paper filter needed! It's simple, quick, easy to use, and easy to clean. So go ahead, brew with yourphin and take that call, brush your teeth, cook eggs, answer your email, and tackle whatever else your morning throws at you. Your perfectly brewed coffee will be waiting for you.
How do I make phin coffee?
When using a single serving size (4 ounces) like ours here, start with these guidelines:
- Use 2 tablespoons of ground coffee
- Drop the filter press on top of the coffee
- Place the plate and chamber (filled with coffee) on top of a cup
- Boil water 195-205 degrees F
- Add 0.8 ounces (or cover the filter press by ½ inch) of hot water
- Let bloom for 45 seconds
- Then fill water to the top of the phin (total of 4 ounces)
These are the metrics you should aim to achieve:
- First drip should happen before 2 minutes
- Last drip should be around 5 minutes
If you can adjust the grind size to achieve the flow of first drip by 2 minutes, and last drip by 5 minutes, then you’ve got a solid brew. Check out more tips for dialing in your phin coffee here.
Make Mornings Better with the comfort of daily rituals:
Shop our Vietnamese Coffee Starter Kit here.
Learn how to brew comforting coffee with the Vietnamese Phin Filterhere.
Purchase our Original Phin Kit to improve your morningbrewhere.
Need a visual? Watch our 60 second Phin Tutorial below