Get ready to spice up your morning cup with this five spice cold brew!
In the past, we've enjoyed adding a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom to our coffee grounds when brewing for added spice, but this time we're going the whole ~five~ yards and shaking up our brew with a little five spice.
For this cold brew, we're adding crushed whole spices to the mix, but feel free to use five spice powder if that's what you have on hand. Fair warning, a little spice goes a long way - trust us!
As a final touch, pair your five spice brew with a splash of milk and a touch of brown sugar syrup for even richer depth in flavor!
- 1 cup (~112g) coarse coffee grounds
- 5 cups of water
- five spice mix (optional: sub ½ - 1 tsp five spice powder)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise pods
- ¼ tsp whole cloves
- ¼ tsp whole fennel seed
- ¼ tsp whole peppercorn
- optional: milk & sweetener of choice
- To a small frying pan, add all the spices and warm over low heat for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Remove from heat. You can roughly mash the spices to break them down into smaller chunks to help release more flavor
- To your brewing container, add the coffee grounds, spice mix, and water. Give everything a stir and then let steep at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.
- Once your brew is ready, strain the coffee grounds and crushed spices from the cold brew and enjoy!