How to Phin Brew Over Ice
Phin filter brewing directly over ice is a popular method started in Vietnam.
By brewing phin coffee over ice, the coffee cools instantly as it drips.
Worried about dilution? Brewing using the phin filter yields a strong brew, so the end result will be balanced and bold – and chilled! Cold coffee without diluted flavor? Yes please.
- Place ice cubes in cup
- Place phin filter on top of cup
- Add Vietnamese coffee (we recommend 2 tablespoons)
- Shake out filter and add gravity press
- Bloom coffee with 1/3 inch of hot water (195º-205º F) for 45 seconds
- Add water to top of filter
- Let brew completely and enjoy!
There's no wrong way to enjoy your coffee. Try our recommended guide, or freestyle on the water / coffee ratio until you find your personal preference (AKA the perfect cup).
Watch how to phin brew over ice in our video tutorial below.
Shop our Vietnamese Coffee Starter Kit here.
Learn about the best tools for brewing Vietnamese coffee here.