The Ube Latte during our 4-month pop-up, Cafe Phin, was hands down the most popular drink of the season. It caught the attention of New York Magazine, New York Times, and Instagrammers everywhere.
Now, you can bring the experience home.
Check out our easy and delicious (and vegan!) ube recipe below.
1) HOW TO MAKE THE UBE MIX
- Measuring spoons
- Whisk or fork
- Can opener
- Measuring cup
- Container to store ube mix
- 1/2 can of all-natural, unsweetened coconut milk (~7 fl oz)
- 2 teaspoons of ube extract
- 3 oz of simple syrup (you can buy this, or make your own simple syrup with equal parts hot water and sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Open can of coconut milk. Transfer to empty quart. Be sure to shake before opening to mix the coconut cream and milk!
- Add ube extract, simple syrup, vanilla extract, and whisk together well.
- Ready to enjoy with coffee!
2) HOW TO MAKE VIETNAMESE COFFEE USING A PHIN FILTER
- 4 oz phin filter, which you can purchase here
- Hot water kettle
- Add ground coffee to the phin (use 2 tablespoons for average brew, or 3 tablespoons for a stronger brew)
- Drop the filter press on top of the ground coffee
- Place the filter plate on top of your cup
- Place the brewing chamber on top of the plate
- Boil water to 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add a little bit of water until it covers the filter press
- Wait 45 seconds for the coffee to bloom
- Add water to the top of the phin
- Cover and let the coffee drip until it's finished
Next, let's put it all together!
3) HOW TO MAKE OUR UBE ICED LATTE
- Stepped jigger or measuring cup
- A tall glass
- 1 oz of the ube mix
- 2 oz of your preferred milk
- The phin coffee you just made. If you're making the coffee in large batches, use 2-3 oz of coffee.
Order of Instructions:
- Add ube mix first
- Add ice to glass
- Add milk
- Add phin coffee
Adjust any of of these ratios (more ube, more milk, more coffee, etc.) to meet your personal preferences!
You can save the ube mix and try other recipes with it as well. It's an excellent base for creative drinks.