- "Grit" or "Loyalty" (robusta coffee recommended)
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups of hot water (boiling)
- Vietnamese Phin Filter (like the one we have here)
- Electric whisk
- 1 bowl for hot water
- or 2 bowls if you want to keep the coffee warm too
- 1 cup for brewing the coffee
- 1 serving cup
- Teaspoon & tablespoon
Make the Coffee Using a Vietnamese Phin Filter (here)
- Follow the instructions to brew the coffee here.
- If you don't have a phin, brew 4 ounces of strong coffee via another method, such as French Press or an espresso machine.
Make the Egg Cream
Combine egg yolks, sugar, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl.
Mix with an electric wire whisk until thick and foamy - about 5 minutes.
Assemble the Drink
Boil 4 cups of hot water. Place it in a bowl.
Place your serving glass(es) in the bowl of hot water. This will help cook the egg topping.
Pour 1/2 of your coffee into the serving glass(es).
Add all of the egg mixture to the top of the serving glass.
Pour the remaining coffee over the top, allowing it to soak through the egg.
Allow to sit in the hot water for 3 minutes to help cook the egg through.
For a special holiday recipe, check out our Vietnamese Egg Nog Coffee recipe here.