It’s often love at first sip with cold brew. The smooth concentrate, known for being less acidic than hot brewed coffee, offers a unique flavor profile that requires time and little setup. At Nguyen Coffee Supply, any threeof our coffees work well as cold brews, but for those looking for the smoothness often associated with it, we recommend Loyalty or Courage.
To make the concoction, you need:
- A scale or tablespoon
- A container to hold the cold brew -- a large mason jar, a french press, etc.
Some notes before starting:
- We recommend 1/2 cup of coffee grounds to 2.5 cups of water (that's a ratio of 1:5 for cold brew concentrate).
- Of course, feel free to adjust the coffee to water ratio depending on how weak or strong you want your cold brew to be. Also, you can always dilute your final product with water or milk as needed if it’s too strong.
- Grind the beans to a coarse grind, as coarse as you can– something similar to raw sugar crystals will work best. If the grinds are too fine, the resulting brew will be too bitter and strong.
- Add cold or room temperature distilled water into the container with the measured coffee grinds.
- Wait! Cold brew needs to steep for at least 12 hours in the fridge before it’s ready for consumption.
- Once time has elapsed, strain the coffee using a filter or sieve. Any leftover grinds will continue to extract and cause bitterness to the cold brew.
- Now that this is done, your cold brew is ready to drink. Use a 1:1 ratio of the cold brew and water of milk. Enjoy it how you please– black with ice, diluted with more water or milk, or even sweetened.
Purchase our game-changing coffee beans here.
Learn how to brew other coffee styles here.